Monday, August 10, 2009


Rain and Snow in Laguna Beach

I was downtown Laguna Beach on Tuesday, August 4, 2009 when it began to rain. Not much of a rain, but with big drops it was not just misting.

I wondered, when has it rained in Laguna Beach in August? Certainly, not often.

I do know that the Laguna Beach Historical Society has a photograph dated July 4, 1928 showing a rain soaked South Coast Highway looking at The Broiler Restaurant and the Do Nut Kettle when they were on Main Beach.

At www.Laguna-History-Society.SmugMug.com one can view this and many other historic Laguna Beach photographs.

Of course, it has even snowed in Laguna Beach. According to Merle and Mabel Ramsey in their 1967 book "Pioneer Days of Laguna Beach" on page 175 "LAGUNA'S GREATEST SURPRISE: In January of 1949, the people of the city went to bed as usual. What a difference when they arose in the morning. Oh! No! It can't happen here in Laguna Beach !-but it did. There was one inch of snow on the ground. It was melted away by noon."

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM , Blogger Vickie said...

Gene -- I read your letter to the Editor of the LBIndy (Aug. 14)and in the old photo was a picture of my parent's restaurant
The Broiler. My parents moved to
Laguna and bought one of the 1932 Olympic cabins (see attached photo).They owned The Broiler in the
50's and my mother was in the Pageant of the Masters. I have been
lucky enough to move back and have
been researching my families history.
If you have further info please
contact me. Many thanks.

 
At 9:56 AM , Blogger Fathom7 said...

Vickie:

I was just searching some old famiy history myself. When I saw that your parents owned The Broiler I just about fell out of my chair. I have not met anyone who even really remembers the place. My memory? Weasy. My mother worked there as a waitress. Also at the Jolly Roger. My Dad worked for the water company and I started life in Canyon Acres then to the bottom o 3rd Street. I have come home (again) and have been here again for over 15 years. I was just so stunned to see someone who remembered The Broiler. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home